Hubbard Woods Park

939 Green Bay Road, Winnetka, IL 60093
Merrill Street to Gage Street, East of Green Bay Road

1.38 acres (Neighborhood Park)

Structures: Shelter, Gazebo

  • May 8, 1912 purchased from Miss Elizabeth O. Shibley for $2,000.00
  • October 1, 1914 condemnation from Mr. Carl A. Forberg
  • March 5, 1920 purchased from Mr. & Mrs. John R. Leonard
  • February 4, 1922 condemnation from Mr. & Mrs. Charles L. Wyman for $7,047.00
  • February 14, 1922 condemnation from Mr. Ruben H. Schell for $7,700.00
  • April 28, 1922 condemnation from Mr. & Mr. Carl Forberg for $46,625.00
  • Total: $63,372.00

Hubbard Woods Park sits in the center of the Hubbard Woods Business District and adjacent to the Hubbard Woods Metra Station for the Chicago and Northwestern Railroad. The central portion of the park is a grassy area that is flooded in the winter for ice skating. An enclosed shelter sits at the northeast corner of the site and houses a fireplace room, skate rental/office, phone, mechanical room, and two restrooms. A playground is located just southwest of the shelter. Five benches surround the playground. A concrete paver walkway connects the playground and shelter with the adjacent public sidewalks. A picnic table, drinking fountain, and bike rack are located between the playground and shelter. An elevated gazebo is centered in the southern portion of the park. Three picnic tables are located just east of the gazebo. Another concrete paver walkway runs to the north of the gazebo and connects to adjacent public sidewalks. A drive and parking spaces lies between the park and the train station. Four lightpoles surround thecentral grass area and provide lighting for the park and skating rink.The Hubbard Woods shelter was re-roofed in 1987. The park was renovated in 1989 and included a new gazebo/bandshell (with funds totaling $32,469.78 donated by the Harris Bank), a new playground, re-grading of the ice rink, landscaping, lighting, drainage work, and site furniture. The park was used for location filming of the movie Home Alone in 1990. The playground was further renovated in 1999. In 2001, bids were received for the renovation of the shelter, which would have included new restrooms, a new facade, a new roofline, new windows, new doors, new heating, and other miscellaneous improvements to make the building accessible. The bids came in over budget and the project was shelved until a future time.