Crow Island Woods
1140 Willow Road, Winnetka, IL 60093
Willow Road and Euclid Avenue
17.91 acres (Neighborhood Park)
Structures: Shelter, Schmidt-Burnham Log House
- Acquired: 1919-1997. Purchased from various families and street vacations
Crow Island Woods is the second largest park in the Winnetka Park District. It lies directly west of Crow Island School, which is listed on the National Register of Historic Places for its significant architecture. The northern half of the site consists of a variety of grassy areas framed by groupings of trees and shrubs. In the northeast meadow sits the Schmidt-Burnham Log House, managed by the Winnetka Historical Society, a historic log cabin built circa 1837 and moved to the site in 2003. A wet sedge meadow to the west can be explored via a winding wooden boardwalk. Parking is available in the center of the park via a gravel road off of Willow Road.
A picnic shelter with restrooms and stone fellowship circle is located just south of the parking area and next to an open field, perfect for large gatherings and events. To the west of the shelter, a Native American Council Circle has been recreated utilizing 23 native oak trees. The southern half of the site is a natural red oak savanna which is laced with mulched pathways for leisurely walks. Interpretive signs and wooden benches, repurposed from fallen trees, are scattered throughout the site.