Dwyer Park Playground Renovation & Site Design
Dwyer Park Playground Renovation and Site Design final stop in the Village approval process is with the Village of Winnetka Council. the Village requires two reading before final approval can be given to a project. Our first reading will be on Tuesday, December 20, 7 pm at Village Hall located at 510 Green Bay Road. Our second reading will most likely be January 3, 2017.
The Winnetka Park District has presented the plans for the proposed Dwyer Park Playground Renovation and Site Design to the Village of Winnetka Design Review Board, Plan Commission, and Zoning Board of Appeals as part of the Special Use Permit application. Due to input from these meetings and other concerns from interested citizens, the design for Dwyer Park has been revised. Changes include:
- The patio around the gazebo has been reduced in size by pulling the southern edge of the pavement and stone seat walls 6’0″ to the north to create more lawn space.
- The spacing between the lannon stone terrace steps south of the patio has been tightened from 56″ to 36″ to create more lawn space.
- The gazebo patio is now primarily permeable brick pavers rather than concrete. A decorative concrete band remains under the gazebo as does a concrete pad under the ping pong table.
- The brick pavers will have a darker colored soldier course around the lighter colored herringbone pattern. The reddish-brown color will be similar to the color of the pavers used in the downtown business district.
- The concrete sidewalk and pavement will be detailed with a smooth finish border and textured interior inside each tooled “square” to create visual interest.
- The gazebo height has been reduced by replacing a cupola with a weathervane. The height of the gazebo to the tip of the roof is approximately 16’8″ tall.
- The Gaga pit has been removed from the plan due to the negative vote of the Zoning Board of Appeals on this feature.
- The three (3) proposed light poles may be replaced by six (6) decorative light bollards, although either option will be controlled by timers to shut the lights off at around 10 pm.
- The expansion of the butterfly garden and installation of the shade garden will be done in the future with input and cooperation of the Garden Guild of Winnetka.
On July 28, 2016, the Winnetka Park District Board of Commissioners voted to move forward with Design Concept 2 Alternate C for Dwyer Park.
Staff will be moving forward into the next phase of the planning process, which is to bring the plan in front of the Village of Winnetka by applying for a Special Use Permit for the Dwyer Park renovation. Concurrently, construction documents will be prepared so that after the village review process is complete, the project can go out for bid with village input considered. The bid results will be reviewed by the Winnetka Park District Parks and Beaches Committee and Board of Commissioners before final approval is given to proceed with each construction option.
Construction is anticipated to begin in late Fall 2016 or Spring 2017 with the park reopening in late Spring or early Summer 2017.
The Winnetka Park District is looking to get a little more community feedback for Dwyer Park, but this time we want to talk with your “Tweens” (children 10-13). As part of the community engagement process it was brought to our attention that the current park design is missing the mark for the “Tweens”. We’ve gone ahead and put some ideas together and would like to see if we are on the right track.
We’re going to be hosting a focus group to get feedback from the “Tweens” on Monday July 25 at the A.C. Nielsen Tennis Center Lounge, 530 Hibbard Road at 5:00 pm. We’ll be going through layouts and concepts to see what your “Tweens” think. Please come with thoughts and ideas of playgrounds you like as well as the fun activities you do in the parks.
If you’re unable to join us please fill out the survey below so we can get your ideas. The survey will be available until Tuesday July 26 at noon. The results will help us narrow down to a few playground design concepts that will allow the Winnetka Park District Board to make an informed decision.
The Winnetka Park District Parks and Beaches Committee will review final concept drawings and preliminary costs at the committee meeting on Thursday, July 14, 6:15 pm.
It will then be brought to the entire Park Board at the July 28 Board meeting.
Our third set of community meetings will be held:
- Thursday, July 7, 6:30 pm
- Saturday, July 9, 9:00 am
Both meetings will be held on-site at Dwyer Park, 856 Elm Street. The agenda for each meeting is identical. That way if one cannot attend the first meeting, interested residents will have an opportunity to participate in the second meeting. Final conceptual site plans will be presented at these meeting, prior to sharing with the Park Board for final approval. The Park Board will review the final concept drawings at the committee level on Thursday, July 14 and by the entire Park Board on Thursday, July 28.
Please follow the link below to review the agenda for the second two meetings, which includes several concepts for the renovation of Dwyer Park and highlights of each of the possible concepts.
The next set of community meetings will be held:
- Thursday, June 16 (6:30 pm)
- Saturday, June 18 (9:00 am)
at the WPD Community Room, 540 Hibbard Road
Conceptual ideas for Dwyer Park will be presented and reviewed.
The Dwyer Park playground is up for renovation and overall site design. As a part of the planning timeline, the Winnetka Park District will initiate the project with the first two of several community meetings to be held throughout the planning process. The purpose of these first two meetings is to communicate the planning process and begin to gain the thoughts of the neighborhood residents related to this project.
The first two meetings will be held Saturday, May 21 at 9:00 am and Wednesday, May 25 at 6:30 pm at Dwyer Park. The agenda for each meeting is identical. That way if one cannot attend the first meeting, interested residents will have an opportunity to participate in the second meeting.
Follow up meetings will take place:
- Thursday, June 16 (6:30 pm) / Saturday, June 18 (9:00 am), WPD Community Room, 540 Hibbard Road
- Thursday, July 7 (6:30 pm) / Saturday, July 9 (9:00 am), Dwyer Park
If you will be unable to attend any meetings, but wish to express your opinions regarding Dwyer Park playground renovations and overall site design, please contact Costa Kutulas at (847) 501-2052 or email him at email@example.com. If done prior to the meetings, we will be happy to share your thoughts with those residents in attendance.
Please check back to this site regularly for updates.
Please follow the link below to review the agenda for the first two meetings and additional information regarding Dwyer Park.
Please follow the link below to fill out an online questionnaire regarding Dwyer Park playground, amenities, and programming. It should only take about 5 minutes to complete and it will help the district staff as they make decisions regarding the design of the park playground and adjacent amenities.
Business Owner: Please follow the link below to fill out an online questionnaire regarding Dwyer Park amenities and programming. It should only take a couple of minutes to complete and it will help the district staff as they make decisions regarding the design of the park amenities.