In accordance with national, state, and local directives, and industry guidelines, we’ve developed a phase-in approach to tennis. Our number one priority is to provide a safe, cautious, and slow return to tennis. Here is the current four-phased overview to gradually return to tennis:
|Phase||Restore Illinois Status||Tennis Activities Permitted||Date|
- Outdoor recreational singles
- Outdoor private instruction (1:1 only)
- Outdoor recreational (4 or less people)
- Outdoor private/group lessons (4 or less)
- Outdoor/indoor recreational (4 or less)
- Outdoor/indoor private/group lessons (4 or less)
|4||Restored||Full return to tennis programs and recreational play||TBD|
Our responsibility is to provide a safe, cautious, and slow return to tennis. Please review the United States Tennis Association website to learn more about playing tennis safely.
The first phase of tennis in Winnetka will look different in many ways. Here are the current guidelines to begin play using the outdoor courts:
- The courts currently are available via the reduced operating hours of 6:30 a.m. to 7:00 p.m., seven days a week.
- All courts must be reserved by contacting the A.C. Nielsen front desk. Please dial (847) 501-2065 ext. 0.
- Each participant will be required to waive claims and hold the Park District harmless for injuries, illness or losses, including COVID-19, sustained as a result of his or her tennis play at the Park District.
- While it is not mandated, each player is encouraged to use a mask or a bandana mask.
- Currently, only singles recreational play is permitted.
- Play is limited to two adults. If one player is 18 years of age or younger, she/he must be accompanied by an adult within the minor’s immediate family.
- Private lessons are provided on a one-on-one format only.
- Each player is required to use no more than six (6) specifically numbered tennis balls to manage touch-points between players.
- At the time of a reservation. A two-can ball purchase will be required for $10.
- Ball purchase will be charged at time of reservation. Payment for the tennis balls will be by credit card only.
- Balls will be delivered to the court at your reserved time.
- To manage social distancing, only outdoor courts are available (courts 1, 3, 5, 7, 8, 10, and 12).
- Indoor facility and related amenities remain closed.
- All drinking fountains are off and all bathrooms are closed.
- No food is permitted on the courts.
- All benches and score tenders have been removed from the courts.
- All entrance gates must remain open.
- Congregating is not permitted on the courts, near the courts, or in the parking lot.
The Nielsen Tennis Center operates as an enterprise fund within the Winnetka Park District and is supported solely by user fees. Since early March, the facility and its operations have been significantly impacted, leading to a significant financial impact. We ask that you support safe play practices and the Nielsen Tennis Center by purchasing a two (2) canisters of new tennis balls for $10 total, which will include differently numbered balls for each player to handle.
As always the Winnetka Park District thanks you for your support of the A.C. Nielsen Tennis Center as we continue to work together to bring tennis back in a safe manner.