Winnetka Park District is a partner with the Northern Suburban Special Recreation Association (NSSRA). Formed in 1970, NSSRA is an extension of ten park districts, two cities, and one village in the northern suburbs of Chicago. It provides and facilitates year-round recreation programs and services for children, teens, and adults with disabilities.
We believe that everyone should have the chance to try something new. Winnetka residents with disabilities have the opportunity to participate in:
- One of NSSRA’s more than 500 annual programs, or
- One of Winnetka Park District’s programs with the assistance of an NSSRA Inclusion companion.
Winnetka Park District program inclusion services are available to residents with special needs at no additional cost to the family. Inclusion services may include staff training, program modifications/adaptations, modified equipment, or program observations.
Reasons to Request Inclusion Services
- A parent or family member recognizes that a participant would benefit from additional support in a Winnetka Park District program.
- Winnetka Park District staff identifies a need for additional support for safety and programmatic reasons and communicates this need to the family.
Requesting Inclusion Services
The process of requesting Inclusion services is listed below. If you have questions or would like more information, please contact Toby Ross at email@example.com or (847) 501-2071.
- Mark the accommodation section of the registration form to indicate the participant will require assistance from NSSRA
- Once your registration form is submitted, the Winnetka Park District will contact you to discuss the type of inclusion support needed
- The Winnetka Park District will provide NSSRA with an Inclusion request that contains both program and participant information
- NSSRA will contact you to discuss the needs of the participant
- NSSRA will work with the Winnetka Park District to put the necessary Inclusion accommodations in place for participation in the desired program(s)
- Communication between you, NSSRA, and Winnetka Park District staff continues throughout the Inclusion process
Americans with Disabilities Act
The Winnetka Park District provides recreation opportunities to all residents and encourages participation by everyone. Programs and services are subject to the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), as well as all applicable laws regarding nondiscrimination. The District complies with ADA, which prohibits discrimination in providing services, programs, or facilities to individuals with disabilities.