In 1962, one of the first indoor tennis facilities in the Chicago area was built in Winnetka. The project included two clay courts, dressing rooms and spectator seats. The funds for the construction were provided by Mr. and Mrs. Arthur C. Nielsen Sr., as a means of expressing their appreciation of the privilege of living in Winnetka since 1922.
In anticipation of high demand, the structure was designed to facilitate the addition of two more courts, which were added in 1964. The facility was overwhelmingly popular. The supply was unable to meet the demand with four courts. The solution was to double the existing number of courts in 1975. Construction funds were again provided by Mr. & Mrs. Nielsen.
In 2013, the A.C. Nielsen Tennis Center completed major renovations to the facility that included new lounge space, new service desk and offices, men’s and women’s locker rooms, ADA compliant bathrooms, and a new geothermal HVAC system.
Currently the facility includes 8 indoor hard courts, stadium seating on court 4 for 188 spectators. There is also spectator seating on the second floor to view all 8 courts. There are also 12 outdoor hard courts, including 5 lit courts.