Tower Road Park
899 Sheridan Road, Winnetka, IL 60093
East of Sheridan Road at Tower Road
3.75 acres (Neighborhood Park)
Structures: Beach House, Shelter
- Acquired: 1946. Purchased from the Conrad family
Tower Road Park is the most northerly of the five lakefront parks in Winnetka. It is accessible through a service drive to the Village of Winnetka Water and Electric Plant and pier. The wooded upper bluff is the location for a parking lot for 52 vehicles and a picnic shelter. A small memorial pool dedicated to Herbert J. Woolhiser, Winnetka’s village manager from 1917 to 1951, is located on the northeast corner of the bluff. A series of switchback steps leads from the upper bluff to the beach.
Tower Road Park has the largest swimming beach in Winnetka. The Beach House provides restrooms, showers, and a concession stand. Several patios on the beach, connected by boardwalks, are perfect places to relax, have a snack, and enjoy the views of Lake Michigan. An accessible playground has equipment closer to the lake which is suitable for younger children and apparatus to the west which challenges older kids. A wet sand play area with sand and water play tables and a spraypole is located on the north side of the beach, as are some sand volleyball courts. Parking is available on the service drive and pier.