#

Crow Island Woods

1140 Willow Road, Winnetka, IL 60093
Willow Road and Euclid Avenue

17.91 acres (Neighborhood Park)

Structures: Shelter, Log Cabin

  • May 21, 1919 purchased from Mr. John A. Slowe for $150.00
  • May 22, 1919 purchased from Mr. & Mrs. Clemens Fortmann for $250.00
  • May 22, 1919 purchased from Mr. & Mrs. William D.Washburne from $5,000.00
  • June 2, 1919 purchased from Mr. & Mrs. Adolph Muus for $750.00
  • June 5, 1919 purchased from Mr. & Mrs. Gallus J. Bader for $150.00
  • June 16, 1919 purchased from Mr. & Mrs. William P. Knoche for $525.00
  • June 10, 1919 purchased from Mr. & Mrs. Andrew Brisch for $250.00
  • August 7, 1939 purchased from Village of Winnetka & School District #36 for $30,765.00
  • 1953 sold property to Winnetka Board of Education #36 for $37,840.00

Crow Island Woods is the second largest park in the Winnetka Park District. It lies directly west of Crow Island School, an architecturally significant building. The northern half of the site consists of a variety of grassy areas framed by groupings of trees and shrubs. A gravel road leads into the site from the northwest corner of the park off of Willow Road. A gravel/grass parking area (with space for 6 cars) is at the end of the road in the center of the northern half of the park. A wooden boardwalk provides pedestrian access from Willow Road through a wet meadow and connects to a crushed limestone path that winds down through the center of the park. A picnic shelter is located here, providing a fireplace, storage, restrooms, three permanent picnic tables, and stone fellowship circle. The Schmidt-Burnham Log House, built circa 1837, is located on the northeast corner of the site, having been relocated there by the Winnetka Historical Society in 2003. This historic structure, owned and managed by the historic society, is open to the public. The southern half of the site is a natural wooded area which is laced with mulched pathways. Interpretive signs and wooden benches are scattered throughout the site. Prescribed fire burns help maintain the native landscaping.

#