Resident's Guide to Park Board Meetings
The Winnetka Park District Park District is governed by seven elected Commissioners. The Board formulates and approves policies to guide the operations of the District's parks and recreation programs, facilities and services.
The President serves as the executive officer of the Board. It is the President’s duty to preside at all meetings, and sign all documents authorized by the Board.
Regular Park Board meetings are normally held on the fourth Thursday of each month at 6:30 p.m. at the Winnetka Park District Community Room, located at 540 Hibbard Rd., unless otherwise posted. We recommend that you call 847-501-2040 to confirm meeting dates/times, or visit us online at www.winpark.org. Meetings are open to the public, and residents are invited to share their comments, suggestions during the Remarks from Visitors period.
Occasionally, the Board may call a special meeting to discuss a topic in greater depth or to consider a matter that requires action prior to the next regularly scheduled meeting. Notices of special meetings, including the meeting's agenda, will be posted on our website and at the Winnetka Park District office at least 48 hours prior to the meeting.
As a part of the planning process of a special project or issue, the Board may conduct public hearings. The purpose for these meetings is to provide residents with information on a specific topic and seek input.
Remarks from Visitor’s & Public Comment
At regular Park Board meetings, there is an agenda item called Remarks from Visitors. Remarks may also be solicited at special meetings. Public hearings are specifically designed to seek feedback from the community.
If you have a question or concern and need to address the Board at any of these meetings, please comply with the basic guidelines below.
- The Board President will chair the meeting.
- Any resident or visitor wishing to address the Board, an individual Board member or a guest presenter, must direct their questions and comments to the President at the appropriate time or at the President’s invitation.
- The Board will hear a resident's comments only after the President has recognized the resident to speak.
- Speakers will be allowed three minutes and may not yield their time to other speakers.
- Persons wishing to speak for a second time may do so with the consent of the President, only after all others have had an opportunity to address the Board.
- Please refrain from comment or question at a Public Hearing until the presentation has been completed.
- At the discretion of the Chair, you may be asked to submit your question in writing on a 3 x 5 card and you will receive a written response with one week of the hearing.
The President will strive to allow all residents equal opportunity to address the Board. In general the Board will not comment or respond to issues requiring Board consideration until the issue has been reviewed by the Board/staff.
The Board often has a full business agenda and must complete the work of the Park District at scheduled meetings. Please do not repeat comments or questions that have already been made by others and please do not interrupt commissioners or other speakers.
Copies of the agenda are posted on our website and at all Park District facilities.
Additional information regarding the agenda may be obtained from our Administrative office, 847-501-2040.