Boating/Sailing General Info
Boating at Lloyd Park
Lloyd Boat Launch is closed until May 27, 2017! See you then!
Winnetka Boating and Sailing Center
Welcome to the Boating and Sailing Center at Lloyd Park. The Winnetka Park District’s sailing programs, including Jr. Sailing and Parent/Child Sailing, will be conducted at the beach house and operated off of Lloyd Beach.
The boat house provides a classroom and bathroom facilities for all patrons. Lloyd Beach offers storage racks for small boats as well as a staffed launching area for personal watercrafts, motorboats, and larger sailboats. For more information on the sailing programs or boat launch, please contact the Winnetka Park District at (847) 501- 2040.
Please Note: Applicants must provide a copy of his/her boat’s registration to remain on file at the Park District office. In addition, resident applicants must provide proof of residency or full-time employment within the Park District boundaries.
2017 Boating Season
HOURS OF OPERATION
Facility is staffed 8:00 am – Dusk (during season)
Gates are open 6:00 am – 10:00 pm
May 27 – September 4
Dates are subject to change.
Lloyd and Elder Boat Launch Rules
The following regulations will be implemented by the Winnetka Park District staff during hours of operations to insure that all beach users will be able to use Lloyd and Elder Lane Beach in harmony. At the time of purchase each season pass holder is asked to read the following regulations and sign a form (the registration form) that they are aware, understand and will follow the rules when launching their vessel:
- Lloyd Beach is for the exclusive use of individuals participating in boating and sailing activities. NO SWIMMING IS ALLOWED AT LLOYD BEACH!
- Lloyd Beach and Elder Lane Beach are staffed Memorial Day through Labor Day.
- Staff hours at Lloyd Beach are 8:00am till Dusk. Staff hours at Elder Lane Beach are 9:00am till 7:00pm.
- Holidays rates will include Memorial Day Weekend, July 3rd and 4th, and Labor Day Weekend.
- Motorboats must be attended by owner/passenger at all times when in the launch. Staff members are not responsible for watching boats. The Winnetka Park District is not responsible for any damages.
- Motorboats are required to have boat fenders present on the port or starboard side when launching and docking.
- Motorboats are required to have two (2) boat lines when launching and docking.
- Personal watercraft hours are restricted to 9:00am till dusk seven (7) days a week.
- In compliance with the Illinois Boat Registration and Safety Act Digest, age of operations of personal water crafts as well as power boats will be as follows:
- No persons under the age of 10 may operate a motorboat or PWC.
- Persons at least 10 years of age and less than 18 years of age may operate a motorboat only if:
- They are accompanied on the motorboat and under the direct control of a parent or guardian, or a person at least 18 years of age designated by a parent or guardian.
- Persons at least 12 years of age and less than 18 years of age may, however operate a motorboat or PWC if:
- They are in possession of a Boating Safety Certificate issued by the Department of Natural Resources Office, Division of Education, or a valid certificate issued by another state, a province of the Dominion of Canada, the U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary or the U.S. Power Squadron.
Summary Chart of Age Requirements for PWC Operators
Individuals who do not follow the above age rules will be subject to having their pass suspended or revoked by the Winnetka Park District.
- Due to limited space and control problems each season pass holder may bring up to (4) four guests.
- Swimming is NOT ALLOWED AT LLOYD BEACH!
- At Elder Lane Beach, guests must stay on the north side of the pier and swimming is not allowed on this end of the beach. In order to swim, guests must purchase a daily beach pass and swim only on the south side of the pier.
- Patrons on the beach without purchasing a daily beach pass must be accompanied by a season pass holder or a rack pass holder.
- The personal watercraft/motorized vessel season pass will be issued to the registered owner of the watercraft. Only the immediate family of the registered owner can launch the watercraft. The owner and/or the immediate family must be present during the time the watercraft is in use.
- When returning to the launch, existing boats have the right away.
- Refueling of personal water crafts will not be allowed on Winnetka Park District properties.
- All personal watercraft users must wear Coast Guard approved life jackets.
- All personal watercraft and motorized vessels must have a fire extinguisher present.
- All personal watercraft usage will be by season pass only. No daily fees will be available to launch a PWC.
- All paddle boarders are required to utilize a safety leash. Children under the age of 13 are required to wear a life jacket when using a paddle board.
- Non-Motorized and motorized vessels, besides personal watercrafts, are able to purchase daily fess for launching as well as a season pass.
- A season pass or daily fee is required for all vessels.
- All season passes are non-refundable and non-transferable.
- Buoys will be installed in the lake to designate no-wake areas and access areas to and from the beach. If buoys should be moved by wave action Park District staff will replace them as soon as possible and watercraft operators will still be expected to follow normal locations of the buoys.
- Any type of watercraft causing a wake inside the designated no-wake areas are subject to having their season pass suspended and/or revoked.
- The north end of Lloyd Beach is used for non-motorized vessels only. Anchor and switching passengers is only allowed in front of beach house and the south end.
- As a courtesy to non-motorized users and rack space owners, all personal watercrafts shall operate 100 yards from the shore and only beach/anchor their watercraft directly in front of the beach house and on the south side of the beach.
- No boogie boards and inflatable floatation devices allowed.
- No dogs are permitted on the beach at any time. Village ordinance #504 will be enforced.
- No fires, including grills, are allowed on the beach.
- Glass containers are not allowed on the beach.
- No alcohol is allowed on the beach.
- For the safety of the sailing students and personal watercraft users, all personal watercraft operators shall be aware of the District’s Sailing Programs held at Lloyd Beach and will make every effort to stay removed from these classes. All PWC and Motorized Boat operators shall observe proper right of way.
Vessel Safety Checks (VSC)
The Winnetka Park District is pleased to be partnering with the US Coast Guard Auxiliary Flotilla 03-06 to provide complimentary Vessel Safety Checks at Lloyd beach! Examiners will be on site at a variety of times throughout the season as well. The Vessel Safety Check is a complimentary check of your boat conducted by members of the United States Coast Guard Auxiliary, confirming that it meets both federal and state requirements for safety. No citations are issued and the results of the safety check are not reported to any enforcement agency, but a decal is awarded to display if the vessel has passed the examination.
An example of some of the items checked include:
- Personal Flotation Devices (life jackets)
- Registration and numbering
- Navigation lights
- Fire extinguishers
- Distress signals (flares, horn, etc.)
- Battery cover and connections
All of these items are currently required by state and federal laws and, if missing or non-operating, can result in a citation if your vessel is inspected by the Coast Guard. The Vessel Safety Check gives you a risk-free way to check that you meet the legal minimums and to potentially avoid a citation later.