The Winnetka Park District is a unit of local government, duly organized on September 22, 1903, under an act of the General Assembly of the State of Illinois. February 4, 1904, marks the first meeting of the Park District Board of Commissioners. Attendants included Rev. Haarth, President; George Baker, Commissioner; Charles Thorne, Commissioner; C.W. Coman, Commissioner; H.A. DeWindt, Commissioner; Max Meyer, Treasurer; and Mary Busscher, Secretary.
The Winnetka Park District covers 4.8 square miles in northern Cook County adjacent to Lake Michigan, approximately 17 miles north of downtown Chicago. It includes the Village of Winnetka and portions of the Village of Glencoe and the Village of Northfield, as well as some unincorporated areas. The Park District's population is approximately 14,500.