Services to Residents with Disabilities
Winnetka Park District is a partner with Northern Suburban Special Recreation Association (NSSRA). Formed in 1970, NSSRA is an extension of ten park districts, two cities and one village in the northern suburbs of Chicago and provides and facilitates year-round recreation programs and services for children, teens and adults with disabilities. NSSRA offers recreation, sport, cultural, social, and leisure programs and events available throughout the year, creating new experiences, opportunities for skill development, leisure time, and perhaps most importantly, friendship. NSSRA has been creating an environment of belonging through play since 1970, and has the distinction of being the first Special Recreation Association in the country.
We believe that everyone should have the chance to try something new. This means you have the opportunity to participate in any one of NSSRA’s nearly 600 annual programs, or that you have the opportunity to participate in one of the Winnetka Park District programs with the assistance of an NSSRA Inclusion companion.
Winnetka Park District program Inclusion services are available to residents with special needs at no additional cost to the family. Inclusion services may include, when necessary, staff training, program modifications/adaptations, modified equipment and program observations.
Reasons to Request Inclusion Services
- A parent or family member recognizes that a participant would benefit from additional support in a Winnetka Park District program
- Winnetka Park District staff identifies a need for additional support, for safety and programmatic reasons, and communicates this need to the family
Requesting Inclusion Services
When registering for a Winnetka Park District program for the first time:
- Mark the accommodation section of the registration form to indicate that the participant will require assistance from NSSRA
- Once your registration form is submitted, the Winnetka Park District will contact you to discuss the type of Inclusion support needed for the participant
- The Winnetka Park District will provide NSSRA with an Inclusion request that contains both program and participant information
- You will be contacted by NSSRA to discuss the needs of the participant and get input on the type of support required
- NSSRA will work with the Winnetka Park District to put the necessary Inclusion accommodations in place for participation in the desired program(s)
- Communication between you, NSSRA, and Winnetka Park District staff continues throughout the Inclusion process
For more information regarding Winnetka Park District Inclusion services contact:
Toby Ross, Recreation Supervisor
Winnetka Park District
Manager of Inclusion
(847) 509-9400 x6828
For more information about Northern Suburban Special Recreation Association (NSSRA) go to www.nssra.org.
3105 MacArthur Blvd.
Northbrook, IL 60062
American with Disabilities Act (ADA)
The Winnetka Park District provides recreation opportunities for all residents and encourages participation by everyone. Programs and services are subject to the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), as well as all applicable laws regarding nondiscrimination. The District complies with the ADA, which prohibits discrimination in the provision of services, programs or facilities to individuals with disabilities. Questions, comments and concerns regarding the ADA should be brought to the attention of the District’s ADA Coordinator, John Shea, Superintendent of Recreation, at 847-501-2072.